In honor of the Earl of Sandwich’s birthday, November’s recipe reviews will be focused on that modern lunchtime standby: the sandwich. Going with whole grain bread is the first step towards a healthier lunch, but if you really want to eat well, filling matters. The problem with the convenience of sandwiches is that it’s easy to get into a rut with your lunch. This fantastic lavash recipe will shake up your sandwich world in the best possible way.
Homemade red pepper paste brings rich, robust flavor to a simple filling packed with protein and whole grain. Choose a whole wheat wrap or lavash to encompass the marvelous mix of fillings for a nutritious sandwich that you’ll be so glad to add to your lunchtime routine.
Servings: 6 (365 G )
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour and 15 Minutes
- Spicy Lentil Wrap:
- 1/2 c. red lentils, rinsed
- 2 c. water
- 3/4 c. fine grain bulgur
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 t. ground cumin
- 1 t. red pepper flakes
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 2 T. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 t. kosher salt
- 6 sheets lavash, whole wheat
- 3/4 c. red pepper paste (recipe below)
- 2 c. shredded cabbage
- Tahini sauce to serve (recipe below)
- Red Pepper Paste:
- 6 red bell peppers, cored and chopped
- 1/2 t. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 t. kosher salt
- Tahini Sauce:
- 1/4 c. tahini
- 2/3 c. or more warm water
- 2 t. lemon juice
- 2 t. finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 t. crushed garlic
- 1/8 t. red pepper flakes
- 1/8 t. kosher salt
Spicy Lentil Wrap:
- Combine lentils and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until lentils are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in bulgur. Let stand until water is absorbed and bulgur is soft, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent. Stir in cumin and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
- Add onions, scallions, parsley and salt to lentil-bulgur mixture and stir until well combined. Let cool before using to make wraps. If desired, blend mixture in a food processor to make it smoother.
- Lay out a lavash sheet with the shorter end closest to you. Spread 1 1/2 tablespoons of red pepper paste across the lower third of the sheet. Top with the lentil-bulgur mixture, and then the cabbage. Roll from the bottom up, and spread an additional 1/2 tablespoon of red pepper paste across the top end to help seal the wrap. Repeat for remaining wraps.
- To serve, cut each wrap in half and serve with tahini sauce on the side.
Red Pepper Paste:
- Combine bell peppers, cayenne pepper and salt in a food processor and puree.
- Pour the puree into a skillet over low heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to a paste. This can take up to 2 hours.
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and mix with a fork until well combined.
- Gradually stir in small amounts of additional warm water until the desired consistency is achieved.