In honor of the Earl of Sandwich’s birthday, November’s recipe reviews will be focused on that modern lunchtime standby: the sandwich. Going with whole grain bread is the first step towards a healthier lunch, but if you really want to eat well, filling matters. The problem with the convenience of sandwiches is that it’s easy to get into a rut with your lunch. This fantastic lavash recipe will shake up your sandwich world in the best possible way.
Spicy Lentil Wraps with Red Pepper Paste and Tahini Sauce
Homemade red pepper paste brings rich, robust flavor to a simple filling packed with protein and whole grain. Choose a whole wheat wrap or lavash to encompass the marvelous mix of fillings for a nutritious sandwich that you’ll be so glad to add to your lunchtime routine.
Servings: 6 (366 g )
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 min.
Red Pepper Paste:
- 6 red bell peppers, cored and chopped
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. finely chopped parsley
- ¼ tsp. crushed garlic
- ⅛ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ⅔ cup warm water
- ½ cup red lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup fine grain bulgur
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 6 sheets lavash, whole wheat
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- To make the red pepper paste, combine bell peppers, cayenne pepper, and salt in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Pour the puree into a skillet over low heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to a thick paste (1-2 hours).
- While pepper paste is reducing, whisk together all tahini ingredients except warm water. Gradually stir in the warm water until the desired texture is achieved. Set aside.
- Also while the red pepper paste is reducing, combine lentils and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until lentils are soft (20 minutes).
- Turn off heat and stir in bulgur. Let stand until water is absorbed and bulgur is soft (30 minutes).
- While bulgur softens, heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent (5-8 minutes). Stir in cumin and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant (1 minute).
- Stir in onions, scallions, parsley and salt.
- To assemble wraps, spread red pepper paste and lentil mixture along the lavash. Top with cabbage and roll tightly. Slice in half and serve with tahini sauce on the side.