In honor of the Earl of Sandwich’s birthday, November’s recipe reviews will be focused on that modern lunchtime standby: the sandwich. Going with whole grain bread is the first step towards a healthier lunch, but if you really want to eat well, filling matters. The problem with the convenience of sandwiches is that it’s easy to get into a rut with your lunch. This fantastic lavash recipe will shake up your sandwich world in the best possible way.
Homemade red pepper paste brings rich, robust flavor to a simple filling packed with protein and whole grain. Choose a whole wheat wrap or lavash to encompass the marvelous mix of fillings for a nutritious sandwich that you’ll be so glad to add to your lunchtime routine.
Servings: 6 (366 G)
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 min.
Red Pepper Paste:
- 6 red bell peppers, cored and chopped
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. finely chopped parsley
- ¼ tsp. crushed garlic
- ⅛ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ⅔ cup warm water
- ½ cup red lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup fine grain bulgur
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 6 sheets lavash, whole wheat
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- To make the red pepper paste, combine bell peppers, cayenne pepper, and salt in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Pour the puree into a skillet over low heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to a thick paste (1-2 hours).
- While pepper paste is reducing, whisk together all tahini ingredients except warm water. Gradually stir in the warm water until the desired texture is achieved. Set aside.
- Also while the red pepper paste is reducing, combine lentils and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until lentils are soft (20 minutes).
- Turn off heat and stir in bulgur. Let stand until water is absorbed and bulgur is soft (30 minutes).
- While bulgur softens, heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent (5-8 minutes). Stir in cumin and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant (1 minute).
- Stir in onions, scallions, parsley and salt.
- To assemble wraps, spread red pepper paste and lentil mixture along the lavash. Top with cabbage and roll tightly. Slice in half and serve with tahini sauce on the side.