Eating less meat and more plant-based foods is not only a good idea according to the new Dietary Guidelines for Americans: it’s also easier on your budget! That said, when you want meat, going with lean cuts of white meat like pork is both a better choice for nutrition and for your budget! Serve these simple, tasty pork chops with generous portions of veggies and a measured portion of whole grains for a complete and satisfying meal.
Nothing goes together better than tender pork and sweet applesauce, and when you add the zing of garlic and the classic flavor of basil, the dynamic duo just gets better. Pair with sweet potatoes and your favorite green veggie for a complete and completely delicious meal.
Servings: 8 (155 G)
Prep Time: 30 min.
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. parsley
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 8 (3½ oz.) boneless pork chops
- 1½ cups unsweetened applesauce
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp. allspice
- 2 tsp. chopped garlic
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Mix canola oil with basil, parsley, and garlic powder.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pork with oil mixture and sauté until meat reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165ºF (4-5 minutes per side).
- Remove pork from pan and loosely cover with foil. Lower heat to medium-low.
- While pork is resting, add remaining ingredients to skillet and heat sauce until warm and bubbling (3-4 minutes).
- Divide sauce over pork chops to serve.