Already planning on tightening your budget and your eating choices up after the extravagance of the holidays? These oatmeal cups are a great way to use up aging bananas to minimize food waste, and the other ingredients are very likely on-hand in your pantry. Serve warm like oatmeal, not cold like muffins. If you’re making them ahead, just toss in the microwave for 30 seconds or warm up in a toaster over for a quick, afforable, nutritious breakfast.
These little cups are the champs of make-ahead breakfast foods. Mix up a big batch at the beginning of the week and keep them in the fridge for an easy reheat option for breakfast or snacks. They’re definitely better warm as the texture is that of baked oatmeal, not of muffins. Toss in a little extra fruit or nuts to customize the recipe for your family.
Servings: 12 (160 G)
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 40 min.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 banana, mashed
- 5 cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2¾ cups 1% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix eggs, vanilla, applesauce, and banana together in a bowl until well-blended.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in milk.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Pour mixture evenly into cups.
- Bake until a toothpick in center comes out clean (25-30 minutes).
- Serve warm and store leftovers in the fridge.