Breakfast is often the kingdom of sweetened cereal grains and sugary fruit, and while waking up to something sweet can be nice, switching to a savory dish can be an utter pleasure. This burrito recipe takes scrambled tofu south of the border for a mildy spicy concoction that will get your day started with protein, vegetables, whole grain and loads of flavor. If you’re in a hurry, wrap your burrito in foil and take it with you!
Tofu is a wonderful, low-fat stand-in for scrambled eggs in this tasty variation on a breakfast classic. Topped with a generous serving of a quick pico de gallo and sliced avocado, you’ll find this burrito to be filling and full of flavor.
Servings: 4 (323 G)
Prep Time: 25 min.
Cook Time: 25 min.
- 1 (14 oz.) block firm tofu
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 2 oz. part skim cheddar cheese
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, finely diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 4 (8") Guiding Star-worthy whole grain tortillas
- Crumble tofu into a large skillet. Sprinkle with cumin, turmeric, garlic and salt. Cook until the tofu starts to brown slightly. Place cheddar on top of scrambled tofu and stir to melt.
- While the tofu is cooking, mix together onion, tomatoes and cilantro to make a simple pico de gallo.
Fill tortillas with scrambled tofu, a quarter of the pico de gallo and sliced avocado.