If January is the month we all stick diligently to our diets, February is too often the month our diets get derailed by the advertising of the chocolate industry. Stick to your plans by giving in and eating chocolate for breakfast! This hearty oatmeal is sweetened with dates and flavored with cocoa powder to give your day a rich, chocolate start…nutritiously.
A great way to start your day- you’ll love it for the nutrition, your kids will love the taste! The dates will sweeten the oatmeal so you won’t need any sugar.
Servings: 4 servings, 1/2 cup each (174 G )
Prep Time: 3 Minutes
Cook Time: 9 Minutes
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted dates, (10-12 dates)
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups water
- Combine dates, oats, cocoa and salt in a 1-quart microwavable container.
- Slowly stir in the water.
- Partially cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on Medium for 4 or 5 minutes, then stir. Microwave on Medium again for 3 or 4 minutes, then stir. Continue cooking and stirring until the cereal is creamy.
Note: The cooking times will vary considerably depending on the power of your microwave. New microwaves tend to cook much faster than older models.