Holiday season often comes with spontaneous gatherings and last minute hosting. Don’t worry about being caught off guard! You can make a big batch of these boneless buffalo wings and freeze them in a single layer on a baking tray. Transfer the fully frozen pieces to freezer bags and pull out as many as you need at the spur of the moment! Heat them in an oven set to 350º F until pieces reach 165º F, about 20-30 minutes. Whip up some quick blue cheese dip and you’re ready to party!
Offer this leaner version of wings when you host the next big game night. Careful though, they might disappear before the coin toss. Serve with our Expert Chef’s Herbed Blue Cheese Dressing for a more nutritious take on the classic dipping sauce.
Tip: No buttermilk? Mix 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar to ¼ cup milk and let stand for 5 minutes.
Servings: 8 (145 g )
Prep Time: 25 min.
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 3 Tbsp. nonfat buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp. hot sauce, divided
- 3 Tbsp. white vinegar, divided
- 2 lbs. chicken tenders
- 6 Tbsp. whole-wheat flour
- 6 Tbsp. cornmeal
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
- Whisk together buttermilk, 2 tablespoons hot sauce, and 2 tablespoons vinegar in a large bowl.
- Add chicken; toss to coat. Transfer to the refrigerator and let marinate for at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- While the chicken is marinating, whisk together flour, cornmeal, and cayenne in a shallow dish.
- Whisk the remaining 1 tablespoon hot sauce and 1 tablespoon vinegar in a small bowl; set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and roll in the flour mixture until evenly coated.
- Heat remaining oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown and cooked through (3-5 minutes per side), working in batches.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter as it finished cooking and with the reserved hot sauce mixture.