Offer this leaner version of wings when you host the next big game night. Careful though, they might disappear before the coin toss. Serve with our Expert Chef’s Herbed Blue Cheese Dressing for a more nutritious take on the classic dipping sauce.
Tip: No buttermilk? Mix 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar to ¼ cup milk and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 3 Tbsp. nonfat buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp. hot sauce, divided
- 3 Tbsp. white vinegar, divided
- 2 lbs. chicken tenders
- 6 Tbsp. whole-wheat flour
- 6 Tbsp. cornmeal
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
- Whisk together buttermilk, 2 tablespoons hot sauce, and 2 tablespoons vinegar in a large bowl.
- Add chicken; toss to coat. Transfer to the refrigerator and let marinate for at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- While the chicken is marinating, whisk together flour, cornmeal, and cayenne in a shallow dish.
- Whisk the remaining 1 tablespoon hot sauce and 1 tablespoon vinegar in a small bowl; set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and roll in the flour mixture until evenly coated.
- Heat remaining oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown and cooked through (3-5 minutes per side), working in batches.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter as it finished cooking and with the reserved hot sauce mixture.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3g|
|Total Carbohydrate 9g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|Total Sugars 0g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 7g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Chicken Breast, Buttermilk (cultured Lowfat Milk, Nonfat Milk, Salt, Sodium Citrate, Vitamin A Palmitate), Whole Grain Yellow Corn Meal, Whole Wheat Flour, Vinegar, Hot Pepper Sauce (distilled Vinegar, Red Pepper, Salt), Canola Oil, Cayenne Pepper.
Summertime, and the eating is fishy...in a good way. Visit your seafood counter for the freshest catch of the week and top it with the farmer's market-ripe tomatoes and an absolute bounty of basil for a dish that will having your guests absolutely swimming in anticipatory saliva.