If you’ve got leftover olives and dipping veggies from a party, the remains of a roasted chicken or turkey and the time to dash out a batch of quinoa, then you’ve got the makings of an amazing salad that’s equally delicious hot or cold. Toss the ingredients together the night before for a marinated whole grain salad or when you get home from work for hot comfort food. It doesn’t get much easier or tastier than this.
Forget pasta salad. Once you taste the way the quinoa just soaks up the simple dressing and experience the way the dressing-rich grains coat each piece of vegetable, you might even wonder what anyone ever saw in mayonnaise-drenched macaroni in the first place.
Servings: 4 (236 g )
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 3/4 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 3/4 cup red bell peppers, roasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons part-skim parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Greek Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with a fork. Allow it to cool for 30 minutes.
- Add broccoli, chicken, carrots, olives, roasted red bell peppers and cheeses to quinoa, stirring to combine.
- To make dressing: Combine oil, lemon, mint, salt and pepper and whisk thoroughly.
- Pour dressing over quinoa and stir to combine. Serve at room temperature or chilled.