Planning a barbecue to celebrate something special? Put those hamburgers down! It’s less work than you might imagine to put together an absolute feast of flank steak for your friends or family. Don’t be cowed by flank steak’s reputation for toughness: this lightly marinated take with a slightly spicy cream sauce makes it easy to turn flank steak into a tender flavor sensation.
Flank steak gets a bad rep for being the tough steak on the block, but we’re confident that with the help of this marinade (and, okay, maybe some pre-marinade tenderizing, if you want to go the extra mile), you can wow the stuffing out of your guests at your next barbecue. The thickness and large size of flank steaks also makes them great candidates for a party platter, served up in thin, rare slices that work well as a dish alone or as the main ingredient for steak tacos. Paired with this gorgeous creamy chile sauce that offers miles of flavor and mild heat, you’re looking at a versatile party option that will make you a grilling all-star.
Servings: 6 (189 G)
Prep Time: 30 min.
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 min
- ½ cup lime juice
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1½ lbs. beef flank steak
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ½ tsp. minced garlic
- ¼ cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup low-fat sour cream
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- Mix marinade ingredients and toss with beef in a freezer bag. Marinate in refrigerator (1-12 hours).
- Heat grill to high. Place pepper in center and grill, uncovered. Turn frequently, until skin is charred and blistered on sides. Wrap in foil and let stand until cool enough to handle. Remove and discard skin, stem, and seeds. Chop and set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high. Sauté onion and garlic until tender (3-4 minutes).
- Place onion mixture, pepper, yogurt, sour cream, and salt in food processor and process until smooth. Stir in cilantro and chill while steak cooks.
- Remove steak from marinade and place on hot grill. Grill, uncovered and turning once, to a minimum internal temperature of 145ºF (17-21 minutes).
- Carve steak across the grain into thin slices. Serve with sauce.