There’s nothing wrong with falling back on pasta for a family dinner, especially when you reach for the whole grain options at the store. (The more Guiding Stars, the better!) This easy dish pairs quick-cooking angel hair with chicken cutlets (also quick to cook) for a flavorful meal that’s not a hassle to get on the table.
This dish has a rich, lemon-caper sauce that compliments not only chicken, but would also work well with lean pork, such as medallions cut from a tenderloin roast. Serve with a lightly dressed side salad.
Servings: 4 (417 g )
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 40 min.
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ tsp. salt, divided
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 4 chicken cutlets, trimmed
- 3 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 10 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. capers
- 2 tsp. butter
- 6 oz. whole-wheat angel hair pasta, cooked
- Whisk 5 teaspoons flour and broth in a small bowl until smooth.
- Place the remaining flour in a shallow dish. Season chicken with ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper and dredge both sides in the flour. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned and no longer pink in the middle (2-3 minutes per side). Transfer to a plate; cover and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices and begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add garlic and wine to the pan and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the reserved broth-flour mixture, lemon juice and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened (5 minutes).
- Stir in parsley, capers, butter and the reserved mushrooms. Measure out ½ cup of the mushroom sauce. Toss the pasta in the pan with the remaining sauce. Serve the pasta topped with the chicken and the reserved sauce.