There’s nothing wrong with falling back on pasta for a family dinner, especially when you reach for the whole grain options at the store. (The more Guiding Stars, the better!) This easy dish pairs quick-cooking angel hair with chicken cutlets (also quick to cook) for a flavorful meal that’s not a hassle to get on the table.
This dish has a rich, lemon-caper sauce that compliments not only chicken, but would also work well with lean pork, such as medallions cut from a tenderloin roast. Serve with a lightly dressed side salad.
Servings: 4 (376 G)
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 40 min.
- 6 oz. whole-wheat angel hair pasta
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ tsp. salt, divided
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 4 chicken cutlets, (3/4-1 pound total), trimmed
- 3 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 10 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. capers, rinsed
- 2 tsp. butter
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until just tender, 4 to 6 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- Meanwhile, whisk 5 teaspoons flour and broth in a small bowl until smooth. Place the remaining flour in a shallow dish. Season chicken with ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper and dredge both sides in the flour. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned and no longer pink in the middle, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; cover and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices and begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add garlic and wine to the pan and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the reserved broth-flour mixture, lemon juice and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, capers, butter and the reserved mushrooms. Measure out ½ cup of the mushroom sauce. Toss the pasta in the pan with the remaining sauce. Serve the pasta topped with the chicken and the reserved sauce.