With the chill creeping back into the air, hot soup is on the menu again. And when you’re trying to get the family together for a meal, soup is often a quick and comforting option that’s easy to pack tons of veggies into. Your entire family will love this sweet and lightly spiced soup. Pair with a little chicken on a side salad to round out the meal.
Roasted Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup
You can save time and steps by cooking the vegetables in the stock, but roasting them with the spices helps the flavors develop more deeply. Top with a little plain yogurt if desired. If you enjoy a little heat, our taste-testers found that they enjoyed this soup with extra black pepper–the bite of the pepper pairs well with the rich sweetness of the potatoes and carrots.
Servings: 4 (473 g )
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 50 min.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place the sweet potatoes and carrots on a baking tray. Toss with half of the oil, add the paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Bake 20-30 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- While vegetable are roasting, heat remaining oil in a large pan. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add in the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add roasted vegetables to stock and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Take the soup off the heat and blend using an immersion blender.