Nothing warms you up like a bowl of spicy chili, and no chili will spark with your passion for amazing food like this Poblano Chili with Avocado Cream. The mild concoction of yogurt and avocado balances with zippy pizzazz of the chili and the salty flavors of the chili round out the simple cream for a match made in heaven. Looking for an excellent cornbread to match? Try our 1 Guiding Star Pumpkin Cornbread for a touchdown-scoring combo at your next football gathering.
Poblano Chili with Avocado Cream
The long list of ingredients may seem daunting, but this recipe is incredibly simple and perfectly flavored. As with many chilis, this dish is best prepared a day ahead and served reheated to give the flavors time to meld together.
Servings: 10 (344 g )
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 1 Hour
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. black pepper, divided
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. lean beef, cubed
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2½ tsp. cumin
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 (14 oz.) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 oz.) cans no-salt-added black beans
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. lime juice, divided
- 2 avocados, divided
- ¼ cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. minced fresh cilantro
- Mix together paprika, chili powder, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, oregano and cayenne. Toss with beef to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot. Add the seasoned beef and cook until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, cook the onions, peppers and garlic until soft. Add the stock, tomatoes and beef. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer for 40 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and cook another 10 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons lime juice and season with ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- In a food processor, puree together one avocado, yogurt, cilantro, remaining lime juice and cumin to make the avocado cream.
- Slice the remaining avocado. Garnish with avocado slices and cream.