Now, when we say “meatless,” we don’t mean “weird and flavorless.” These falafel burgers are the kind of vegetarian eating that makes a die-hard beef lover give peas a chance. Chickpeas, that is. If you’ve got a little extra time to make your family dinner extra special, making your own pita bread is easy and a fun task to get the kids involved with.
A simple falafel sauce is super easy. Just combine ½ cup tahini (sesame seed paste, available in the Middle Eastern section of your supermarket) with ¼ cup water, a tablespoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon finely minced fresh garlic, ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika for color, and a little dash of pepper and cayenne if desired. Add more or less water depending on your preference. The sauce’s tart taste and creamy texture is the perfect complement to the crunchy and savory patties.
Servings: 4 (237 G) Servings (237 G)
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup diced white onions
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil for frying
- 2 whole wheat pita pockets
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 1 medium Roma tomato, sliced
- Place chickpeas and onions into the bowl of a food processor and pulse for about two seconds at a time, just until chick peas and onions start to resemble coarse bread crumbs. Remove lid and add in the lemon juice, parsley, zest, cumin, salt, and pepper and replace the lid.
- Pulse mixture until it just starts to clump together in the bowl but still resembles distinct pieces (you don’t want a puree here!). Using moist hands to avoid sticking, form the mixture into four patties for grilling or scoop one tablespoon into the hands and roll into an elongated ball, like a football.
- Grill patties over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes per side or until the exterior is dry and lightly golden. Serve inside a whole wheat pita half garnished with alfalfa sprouts, diced cucumber, and sliced tomato.