Can you buy pita at the store? Of course. Do they take some time and effort? Naturally. Then is it really worth the hassle of making them fresh? You betcha. Truly fresh pita bread is a beast entirely unlike anything you can buy in the store, and as breads go, it’s one of the easiest to make. Treat yourself: make your own pitas.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2¼ tsp. instant yeast
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- Mix water, oil, sugar, yeast, salt, and whole wheat flour with a wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in all-purpose flour to form a shaggy mass.
- Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic (10-12 minutes), adding only very small amounts of flour if dough is too sticky to work. Form into a ball.
- Oil a clean bowl and place the dough inside, turning once to oil. Cover bowl with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Place a baking stone on the top oven rack and preheat oven to 500°F.
- When dough has risen, punch down the dough, transfer to a lightly floured surface, and cut into 6 equal pieces, forming into balls. Cover with damp towel and rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Roll each ball into an even circle about ¼ inch thick. Place circles on a lightly floured surface, cover with a damp towel and proof until puffy (15-20 minutes).
- Pick up one pita at a time and place onto the heated baking stone. Bake until pitas are puffed and lightly brown (3-4 minutes). Serve warm for the best flavor.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2g|
|Total Carbohydrate 41g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||12%|
|Total Sugars 2g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 35g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Water, Wheat Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Olive Oil, Sugar, Yeast, Kosher Salt.
Summertime, and the eating is fishy...in a good way. Visit your seafood counter for the freshest catch of the week and top it with the farmer's market-ripe tomatoes and an absolute bounty of basil for a dish that will having your guests absolutely swimming in anticipatory saliva.