You can save time and steps by cooking the vegetables in the stock, but roasting them with the spices helps the flavors develop more deeply. Top with a little plain yogurt if desired. If you enjoy a little heat, our taste-testers found that they enjoyed this soup with extra black pepper–the bite of the pepper pairs well with the rich sweetness of the potatoes and carrots.
Number of Servings: 4 (475 G )
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
- 3 med. sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 lg. carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 T. olive oil, divided
- 1/4 t. paprika
- 1/4 t. cumin
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 c. low-sodium vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place the sweet potatoes and carrots on a baking tray. Toss with half of the oil, add the paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Bake 20-30 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- While vegetable are roasting, heat remaining oil in a large pan. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add in the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add roasted vegetables to stock and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Take the soup off the heat and blend using an immersion blender.