You can save time and steps by cooking the vegetables in the stock, but roasting them with the spices helps the flavors develop more deeply. Top with a little plain yogurt if desired. If you enjoy a little heat, our taste-testers found that they enjoyed this soup with extra black pepper–the bite of the pepper pairs well with the rich sweetness of the potatoes and carrots.
- 3 med. sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 lg. carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 T. olive oil, divided
- 1/4 t. paprika
- 1/4 t. cumin
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 c. low-sodium vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place the sweet potatoes and carrots on a baking tray. Toss with half of the oil, add the paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Bake 20-30 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- While vegetable are roasting, heat remaining oil in a large pan. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add in the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add roasted vegetables to stock and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Take the soup off the heat and blend using an immersion blender.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 35g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.5g||0%|
|Total Sugars 12g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 16g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (filtered Water, Organic Carrots, Organic Tomatoes, Organic Celery, Organic Onions, Organic Garlic, Organic Leeks, Sea Salt, Organic Bay Leaves, Organic Parsley, Organic Thyme), Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Onion, Olive Oil, Garlic, Salt, Paprika, Black Pepper, Cumin.
Summertime, and the eating is fishy...in a good way. Visit your seafood counter for the freshest catch of the week and top it with the farmer's market-ripe tomatoes and an absolute bounty of basil for a dish that will having your guests absolutely swimming in anticipatory saliva.