This salad will stun your tastebuds and satisfy your craving for a hearty meal without slowing you down on a hot summer day. Enjoy it fresh and warm, or let it rest of night for a chilled flavor fiesta.
Beef, Mango & Barley Salad
Tender beef roast, seasoned to perfection, is tossed with sweet roasted red peppers and balanced with the winning tang of lime juice and cilantro. Juicy ripe mango and chewy barley finish the dish. Served hot or cold, this is a dish you can enjoy in any season.
Servings: 6 (335 g )
Prep Time: 30 min.
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 1½ tsp. paprika, divided
- 1½ lbs. beef tri-tip roast
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup quick barley
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 mangos, chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 Boston lettuce leaves
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Move racks to middle and bottom.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon paprika evenly over roast. Place roast on rack within a shallow roasting pan. Roast to minimum internal temperature of 145ºF (30-40 minutes).
- Place bell peppers on a baking sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place in oven under meat until tender (30 minutes).
- While meat is cooking, cook barley according to package directions.
- When roast is done, transfer roast to carving board and tent with foil. Let rest 15 minutes. Let peppers cool while meat rests.
- Cut beef into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Whisk together lime juice, oil, and remaining ½ teaspoon paprika. Toss beef, barley, peppers, mangos, onions, and cilantro in large bowl with dressing. Divide equally over six leaves to serve.