Are latkes a part of your family’s holiday tradition? Fried potato pancakes are scrumptious, of course, but we think you might enjoy this more nutritious overhaul of the classic even more. Sweet potatoes and pears team up for a lightly sweet side dish that will leave your mouth watering for more.
Latkes take a little more work than many of us have time for on a busy weeknight, but if you’re looking for a little something special for a holiday meal or weekend family dinner, this recipe is just the ticket. Lightly sweet and deliciously crispy, it’s the perfect option for celebrating without compromising on nutrition.
Tips: If you want to use traditional latke garnishes like sour cream and applesauce, choose low-fat and unsweetened versions for the best nutrition.
Servings: 8 (189 G)
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 45 min.
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 Bosc pears, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 onion, coarsely grated
- 4 egg whites
- ⅓ cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450ºF and place two nonstick baking sheets in the oven.
- Combine grated sweet potatoes, pear, and onion. Press in a strainer to remove excess liquid. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, bread crumbs, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Stir in the potatoes, pear, and onion.
- Remove the hot baking sheets from the oven and spray thoroughly with cooking spray. Spoon latke mixture onto sheets and flatten into 2″ patties. Bake until golden brown, turning once (12-15 minutes per side).
- Serve hot with garnishes as desired.