Latkes take a little more work than many of us have time for on a busy weeknight, but if you’re looking for a little something special for a holiday meal or weekend family dinner, this recipe is just the ticket. Lightly sweet and deliciously crispy, it’s the perfect option for celebrating without compromising on nutrition.
Tips: If you want to use traditional latke garnishes like sour cream and applesauce, choose low-fat and unsweetened versions for the best nutrition.
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 Bosc pears, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 onion, coarsely grated
- 4 egg whites
- ⅓ cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450ºF and place two nonstick baking sheets in the oven.
- Combine grated sweet potatoes, pear, and onion. Press in a strainer to remove excess liquid. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, bread crumbs, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Stir in the potatoes, pear, and onion.
- Remove the hot baking sheets from the oven and spray thoroughly with cooking spray. Spoon latke mixture onto sheets and flatten into 2″ patties. Bake until golden brown, turning once (12-15 minutes per side).
- Serve hot with garnishes as desired.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 33g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.5g||18%|
|Total Sugars 10g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 16g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 804.9mcg||90%|
|Vitamin C 5.5mg||6%|
|Vitamin E 0.4mg||0%|
|Vitamin K 4mcg||4%|
|Vitamin B6 0.3mg||20%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Sweet Potatoes, Pears, Egg Whites, Onion, Whole Wheat Style Panko Breadcrumbs (unbleached Whole Wheat Flour, Malt Extract, Yeast, Sea Salt), Ground Cinnamon.
It’s back to school season. That means it’s time to stock up on new gear, so your students are prepared to start the school year in style. Don’t forget about school lunch as you create your shopping lists. Whether your family has decided between school lunch or lunch from home, there will likely be a field trip where your child could use these lunch supplies. Parents have a lot of cool new products to choose from to ensure that their child’s lunch is not only nutritious and safe, but also looks appetizing at lunch time. For this month’s Nutritious Nudge, I created a list of lunch supplies and considerations to help parents with their back to school shopping.