We can’t all get away to lounge in the sun-soaked Mediterranean in the middle of winter, but we can send our tastebuds on the cheap. The hearty lentils will fill you up and give you excellent nutrition while the bright flavors of lemon and basil pair with the salty bursts of feta to carry your imagination out of your office and half way across the world with delight. Experiment with adding different vegetables and herbs to enjoy the Mediterranean flavors with your style.
Finding canned lentils is sometimes more difficult than other beans, but this salad will work with any beans you have on hand. The combination of lemon, dill, dijon mustard and feta really brings this salad to life.
Servings: 6 with each serving about 1 cup (207 G )
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: None
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 15-ounce cans lentils, rinsed, or 3 cups cooked brown or green lentils
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, (about 4 ounces)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup diced seedless cucumber
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
Whisk lemon juice, dill, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Add lentils, feta, bell pepper, cucumber and onion; toss to coat.