Scientific Advisor Kitty Broiher shares our simple corn chowder recipe with Maine’s WCSH6 and her intern shares a great salad recipe to complement the chowder.
Watch the videos on wcsh6.com »
Warm up your chilly autumn nights with hearty corn chowder. Add more vegetables if you like more chunks in your chowder. Pair with some whole-grain biscuits and a light salad for a satisfying meal.
Servings: 4 (297 g )
Prep Time: 30 min.
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. diced celery
- 2 Tbsp. diced onion
- 2 Tbsp. diced bell pepper
- 1½ cups whole kernel corn
- 1 cup cubed red potatoes
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in medium saucepan. Add celery, onion, and pepper. Sauté until fragrant (2-3 minutes).
- Add corn, potatoes, water, salt, pepper, and paprika. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook covered until potatoes are tender (10-12 minutes).
- Whisk milk and flour together and slowly pour into soup, stirring constantly. Simmer until mixture comes to boil and thickens (5-8 minutes). Season with pepper to taste and serve garnished with parsley.