Wraps are the absolute perfect choice for picnic on the go. Make a batch, roll individual portions in tinfoil and toss them in the zip-top wrap bag for easy transportation, then use the bag to collect any meal trash to make sure you leave no mark on your hike. The vegetarian fillings in this wrap make it a solid choice for food safety: no fridge, no problem. Time-saving tip: Make a cheater’s version of the red pepper sauce by draining and pureeing store-bought roasted red peppers. It won’t be exactly the same, but it’s close enough for horseshoes.
Spicy Lentil Wraps with Red Pepper Paste and Tahini Sauce
Homemade red pepper paste brings rich, robust flavor to a simple filling packed with protein and whole grain. Choose a whole wheat wrap or lavash to encompass the marvelous mix of fillings for a nutritious sandwich that you’ll be so glad to add to your lunchtime routine.
Servings: 6 (366 g )
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 min.
Red Pepper Paste:
- 6 red bell peppers, cored and chopped
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. finely chopped parsley
- ¼ tsp. crushed garlic
- ⅛ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ⅔ cup warm water
- ½ cup red lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup fine grain bulgur
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 6 sheets lavash, whole wheat
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- To make the red pepper paste, combine bell peppers, cayenne pepper, and salt in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Pour the puree into a skillet over low heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to a thick paste (1-2 hours).
- While pepper paste is reducing, whisk together all tahini ingredients except warm water. Gradually stir in the warm water until the desired texture is achieved. Set aside.
- Also while the red pepper paste is reducing, combine lentils and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until lentils are soft (20 minutes).
- Turn off heat and stir in bulgur. Let stand until water is absorbed and bulgur is soft (30 minutes).
- While bulgur softens, heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent (5-8 minutes). Stir in cumin and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant (1 minute).
- Stir in onions, scallions, parsley and salt.
- To assemble wraps, spread red pepper paste and lentil mixture along the lavash. Top with cabbage and roll tightly. Slice in half and serve with tahini sauce on the side.