Salads can be a great cooler option for roadtrips because they need no heat to be eaten. The trick is to avoid items that are riskier in warming coolers (like cream dressing, cheeses, eggs, or meats) and to pack them in individual containers, layered with the moistest ingredients on the bottom. This salad is a perfect recipe to layer into jars for on-the-road, better-for-you eating. Pack the roasted chickpeas separately for maximum crunch.
Make a full batch of the roasted chickpeas and enjoy the leftovers for snacks. Added to salads, they offer a nice, flavorful crunch that, packed with protein and fiber, will keep you full. The dressing, however, is what really makes this salad pop. Whisk up extra and store in the fridge for easy, protein-packed dressings for your favorite salads.
Servings: 2 (409 G )
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 8 oz. spring mix lettuce
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup hummus
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Water to thin
- 20 low-sodium, whole grain pita chips, crushed
- ½ recipe Roasted Chickpeas
- Combine lettuce, tomatoes, onion and parsley in a large bowl
- Combine hummus, garlic, dill and lemon juice in a small mixing bowl and whisk. Add warm water and whisk until pourable.
- Toss the salad with half of the hummus dressing. Top with pita chips and chickpeas. Serve the extra dressing on the side.