Salads can be a great cooler option for roadtrips because they need no heat to be eaten. The trick is to avoid items that are riskier in warming coolers (like cream dressing, cheeses, eggs, or meats) and to pack them in individual containers, layered with the moistest ingredients on the bottom. This salad is a perfect recipe to layer into jars for on-the-road, better-for-you eating. Pack the roasted chickpeas separately for maximum crunch.
Make a full batch of the roasted chickpeas and enjoy the leftovers for snacks. Added to salads, they offer a nice, flavorful crunch that, packed with protein and fiber, will keep you full. The dressing, however, is what really makes this salad pop. Whisk up extra and store in the fridge for easy, protein-packed dressings for your favorite salads.
Servings: 4 (258 g )
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 1 (29 oz.) can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed and well-drained
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ cup hummus
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Water to thin
- 8 oz. spring mix lettuce
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 20 low-sodium whole grain pita chips, crushed
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Toss chickpeas with spices and roast in a single layer on a baking sheet, stirring every 10 minutes, until crunchy (30-40 minutes).
- Whisk together hummus, garlic, dill, and lemon juice in a small mixing bowl. Whisk in just enough warm water to make pourable.
- Toss salad ingredients together with dressing and half of the roasted chickpeas.