From Expert Chef Erin Dow, this classic chicken stew is designed to give you a thick, creamy stew with minimal salt and fat. Whole-grain herbed dumplings finish off the dish for a meal that’s comforting and warming in the midst of flu season.
Nothing says home like a simmering pot of chicken stew. Fluffy herbed dumplings soak up a scrumptious broth that draws its flavor from a classic mirepoix. Use your food processor to make the fine dicing go faster. Tender chicken, perfect potatoes, and sweet peas give this stew a luscious appeal that will make it a family favorite for warming up for many winters to come.
Servings: 8 (403 g )
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 40 min.
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced carrots
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 4 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium red potatoes, skin on, ½” thick cube
- 1½ cups frozen peas
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast, diced
Herbed Drop Dumplings:
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. thyme leaves
- 1 cup skim milk
- In a large pot, over medium-high heat, saute the onion, celery, and carrots in olive oil until softened but not browned (5 minutes).
- Add in the bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir until fragrant (1 minute).
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetable mixture, stir to combine. (1 minute).
- Whisk in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and peas, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are cooked through (20 minutes).
- While potatoes are cooking, make your dumplings in a medium sized bowl. Start by sifting together the flours, baking powder, salt, and thyme. Add the milk and stir with a fork until just combined. Set aside.
- Bring the stew to a boil, stir in the chicken, and drop in the dumplings, by tablespoon. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook until a toothpick inserted into the center of the dumplings comes out clean (10-15 minutes).