Just kidding. We love sandwiches. Whole grain bread stuffed with lean protein, piled with crunchy veggies and garnished with a little heart-healthy fat? Yes, please. Even so…they get a little tired if you eat nothing else day in and day out for lunch. That’s why we’ve been on the lookout for fresh lunch ideas that will knock your sensible business shoes right off. First up: lightly spicy, pert and perky, filling and nutritious Lemon Dal that you’ll want to eat every week. Which you can. Freeze in individual portions for a dose of lentil goodness anytime with no labor down.
Get these lentils going in the afternoon for a tasty meal at dinnertime. Serve with whole-grain pita bread–the fresher, the tastier! This is the perfect nutritious comfort food to take for lunch at the office.
Servings: 6 (270 g )
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 2 hours 45 min.
- 1½ cups red lentils
- 5 cups hot water
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 (½") piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2-3 serrano chilis, seeded and sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- Pick through and wash the lentils.
- Place lentils, water, onion, garlic, ginger, chilis and salt in the slow cooker. Stir well and set to cook on HIGH for 2 ½ hours.
- When the lentils are cooked, add the lemon juice and stir. Adjust the lemon juice to taste.
- Add the milk and stir.
- Serve warm with fresh pita bread or brown rice.