Get these lentils going in the afternoon for a tasty meal at dinnertime. Serve with whole-grain pita bread–the fresher, the tastier! This is the perfect nutritious comfort food to take for lunch at the office.
- 1 ½ cup red lentils
- 5 cups hot water
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 (½") piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2-3 serrano chilis, seeded and sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- Pick through and wash the lentils.
- Place lentils, water, onion, garlic, ginger, chilis and salt in the slow cooker. Stir well and set to cook on high for 2 ½ hours.
- When the lentils are cooked, add the lemon juice and stir. Adjust the lemon juice to taste.
- Add the milk and stir.
- Serve warm with fresh pita bread or brown rice.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 33g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.5g||24%|
|Total Sugars 1g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 1g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Water, Red Lentils, Onion, Lemon Juice, 2% Milk, Serrano Pepper, Garlic, Ginger, Salt.
During the holidays, we gather with friends and family to lavish each other with love...often in the form of food. As much as we all enjoy the sweets this time of year, they can be rough on our systems. That's true of everyone, but especially true of people with conditions like diabetes who need to watch their food carefully to manage their blood sugar safely. This year, why not show your love by adding in one or two options to help your guests manage their health?