Get these lentils going in the afternoon for a tasty meal at dinnertime. Serve with whole-grain pita bread–the fresher, the tastier! This is the perfect nutritious comfort food to take for lunch at the office.
- 1 ½ cup red lentils
- 5 cups hot water
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 (½") piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2-3 serrano chilis, seeded and sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- Pick through and wash the lentils.
- Place lentils, water, onion, garlic, ginger, chilis and salt in the slow cooker. Stir well and set to cook on high for 2 ½ hours.
- When the lentils are cooked, add the lemon juice and stir. Adjust the lemon juice to taste.
- Add the milk and stir.
- Serve warm with fresh pita bread or brown rice.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 33g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.5g||24%|
|Total Sugars 1g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 1g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Water, Red Lentils, Onion, Lemon Juice, 2% Milk, Serrano Pepper, Garlic, Ginger, Salt.
This slaw is colorful and delicious, and with the inclusion of sunflower seeds and cheese, it's the perfect dish to include in a kid's lunchbox to know they're getting a nice collection of nutrients to see them through the day. Serve with their favorite whole grain crackers--it's fun, tasty, and kid-friendly-weird spooned up on crackers.