Get these lentils going in the afternoon for a tasty meal at dinnertime. Serve with whole-grain pita bread–the fresher, the tastier! This is the perfect nutritious comfort food to take for lunch at the office.
Number of Servings: 6 (271 G )
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 2.5 hours
- 1 ½ cup red lentils
- 5 cups hot water
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 (½") piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2-3 serrano chiles, seeded and sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- Pick through and wash the lentils.
- Place lentils, water, onion, garlic, ginger, chiles and salt in the slow cooker. Stir well and set to cook on high for 2 ½ hours.
- When the lentils are cooked, add the lemon juice and stir. Adjust the lemon juice to taste.
- Add the milk and stir.
- Serve warm with fresh pita bread or brown rice.