Get these lentils going in the afternoon for a tasty meal at dinnertime. Serve with whole-grain pita bread–the fresher, the tastier! This is the perfect nutritious comfort food to take for lunch at the office.
Number of Servings: 6-8 (271 G )
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 2.5 hours
- 1 1/2 c. red lentils
- 5 c. hot water
- 1 sm. yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 (1/2 in.) piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2-3 serrano chiles, seeded and sliced
- 1 t. salt
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 T. milk
- Clean and wash the lentils.
- Place lentils, water, onion, garlic, ginger, chiles and salt in the cooker. Stir well and set to cook on high for 2 1/2 hours.
- When the lentils are cooked, add the lemon juice, stir, and adjust the seasoning. Add more lemon juice if preferred. Add the milk and stir. Serve warm with fresh pita bread or brown rice.