In a rut with chicken? Bring it to life again with these simple, luscious grilled sandwiches. Simply marinated and with vegetable grilled to perfection, this is a well-balanced meal worth putting together for your next beach cookout or family barbecue.
Grilled Chicken Pita
Grilling brings out the best flavor and texture in eggplant, making it an excellent companion to chicken in this simple summer sandwich. Serve with a seasonal greens salad to round out the rainbow of vegetables more fully, and while you’ve got the grill out, toss some sweet peaches on there for a nutritious, luscious dessert.
Servings: 4 (314 g )
Prep Time: 30 min.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup fat-free Italian dressing
- 1 Tbsp. chopped basil
- Pepper to taste
- 1 small eggplant, sliced
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored and halved
- 4 whole wheat pitas, halved
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients. Split the marinade into two bowls, one for basting and one for dressing.
- Brush half the dressing on the eggplant, chicken, and tomatoes. Grill, flipping once, until the chicken reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165ºF and the veggies are tender (15-20 minutes). Discard remaining basting marinade.
- Warm the pitas in the microwave for a few seconds until they are soft and pliable.
- Slice the grilled chicken, stuff into the warmed pitas with slices of eggplant and tomato, and drizzle with remaining marinade.
- Serve warm.