Grilling brings out the best flavor and texture in eggplant, making it an excellent companion to chicken in this simple summer sandwich. Serve with a seasonal greens salad to round out the rainbow of vegetables more fully, and while you’ve got the grill out, toss some sweet peaches on there for a nutritious, luscious dessert.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup fat-free Italian dressing
- 1 Tbsp. chopped basil
- Pepper to taste
- 1 small eggplant, sliced
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored and halved
- 4 whole wheat pitas, halved
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients. Split the marinade into two bowls, one for basting and one for dressing.
- Brush half the dressing on the eggplant, chicken, and tomatoes. Grill, flipping once, until the chicken reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165ºF and the veggies are tender (15-20 minutes). Discard remaining basting marinade.
- Warm the pitas in the microwave for a few seconds until they are soft and pliable.
- Slice the grilled chicken, stuff into the warmed pitas with slices of eggplant and tomato, and drizzle with remaining marinade.
- Serve warm.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6.5g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3g|
|Total Carbohydrate 33g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 21g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Eggplant, Chicken Breast, Pita Bread (water, Wheat Gluten, Corn Starch, Flax, Oat Fiber, Whole Wheat Flour, Oat Bran, Yeast, Isolated Soy Protein, Soy Flour, Soy Oil, Sesame Flour, Salt, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Dextrose, Sodium Bicarbonate, Calcium Propionate (a Preservative), Fumaric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Mono And Diglycerides, Sucralose, Sodium Metabisulfite), Plum Tomatoes, Fat Free Italian Dressing (water, Vinegar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Salt, Contains Less Than 2% Of Parmesan Cheese, Part-skim Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes, Garlic, Onion Juice, Whey, Phosphoric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate And Calcium Disodium Edta As Preservatives, Yeast Extract, Spice And Red Peppers, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Garlic, Buttermilk, Caramel Color, Sodium Phosphate, Enzymes, Oleoresin Paprika), Balsamic Vinegar, Olive Oil, Basil.