One of our favorite kitchen hacks is putting the slow cooker to work on the weekends to make a big meal that can then be used for versatile leftovers all through the week. Use this recipe to get yourself set with chicken to make sandwiches or top salads with–the simple and wonderful flavors will work in any number of chicken dishes.
Whether you pack some of the leftover chicken together with quinoa for a nicely reheatable meal or turn the chicken into a quick wrap or salad topping, this is a simple and versatile dish with a ton of flavor. You’ll be glad you tried it.
Servings: 6 (422 G)
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 6+ hours
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup plain, low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup quinoa
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- 1 Tbsp. basil
- 3-5 lb. whole chicken, skin removed
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- Place all ingredients except chicken and cucumber in a slow cooker and stir well.
- Add in chicken (whole or broken into breasts, thighs, legs and wings). Cook on LOW for 6+ hours. Use a thermometer to make sure the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165º F.
- Serve chicken on top of quinoa. Top with cucumber slices.