Indian food doesn’t need to be hard to make, but getting the great flavor from chopped vegetables and tons of spices means recipes tend to have a good number of moving pieces. Measuring out spices is a great teachable moment for younger kids, and older kids can practice their dicing and slicing skills–no matter which way you dish up this delicious meal, you can turn making it into a fun opportunity to come together as a family.
Chicken Tikka Masala
This modification of a favorite Indian dish uses tangy yogurt in place of cream and butter for a lighter dinner. The recipe will feed a good-sized crowd and freezes very nicely, making it a perfect option for splitting up to freeze. Serve up half for a night or two of dinners, then freeze the rest for a night when you need a quick meal.
Servings: 12 (342 g )
Prep Time: 35 min.
Cook Time: 45 min.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 3 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt, divided
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 serrano chiles, minced
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- ¾ tsp. ground red pepper
- ½ cup unsalted chicken stock
- ¾ cup plain, fat-free yogurt
- 2 (28 oz.) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat half of oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken, half of salt, cumin and cinnamon. Cook until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining oil, onion, garlic, ginger, and serrano to pan; sauté 1 minute. Reduce heat to low; cook until softened, stirring frequently. Add garam masala and red pepper; cook 1 minute.
- Add remaining salt, stock, yogurt, and tomatoes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; stir in chicken. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve hot over rice and sprinkle with cilantro.
To Freeze: Cool masala and rice to room temperature. Seal in separate freezer bags. Lay bags flat in freezer, making sure to not place anything on top of the bags until they’re completely frozen. Freeze up to 2 months.