Easy nutritious meals don’t need to be boring. Made with store-bought dough and mostly ingredients you can dump out of a bag or can, this is a pizza you can assign your older kids to make unsupervised and even have your younger kids handle most of the work for. Since it earns two Guiding Stars, you can feel satisfied with the nutrition your family is getting. Pizza is always popular, and with a southwestern twist, this delicious dish is a great deviation from your routine.
Black Bean Pizza
A healthy way to enjoy a homemade pizza with a southwestern kick. Creamy avocado, sweet corn and hearty black beans play counterpoint to the kick of chili powder, cumin, and scallions.
Servings: 4 (366 g )
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 30 min.
- 1 (15 oz.) can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup corn
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 16 oz. whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1 cup shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF and place an empty baking sheet on the middle rack.
- In a medium bowl, combine everything except for the pizza dough and cheese. Set aside.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, roll the pizza dough into a 13″ circle and crimp the edges slightly to form a lip at the edge of the crust. Transfer to warmed baking sheet. Top with black bean mixture, sprinkle with the cheese and bake until the crust is golden brown (20 minutes). Slice and serve.