While a recent study suggests that eating comfort food isn’t actually more comforting than just plain eating, we all have moments where eating our favorite sometimes foods just hits the spot…especially in the bleak midwinter. If chocolate cake is your treat of choice, consider giving these Chocolate Beet Cupcakes a try. Yeah, we know. We’ve all tried those “healthier” desserts, and more of them are letdowns than not. This one has been made and eaten twice by our food photographer and his wife, though, and they promise: it’s actually quite the tasty cupcake recipe! They’re moist and richly chocolate, and the balance of sugar to artificial sweetener makes them decadent enough to satisfy even a picky sweet tooth.
The hidden ingredient that gives these cupcakes their moist, tender texture and nutritional power is beets. It doesn’t take much to make an impressive little cake you can savor with delight. The best part? This little cake is so scrumptiously moist that you won’t feel the need to add frosting.
- Puree the beets with an immersion blender for the smoothest texture.
- Replace roasted beets with canned, whole beets. Just leave out the salt and rinse the beets thoroughly–it’s actually easier to get a good puree with canned beets, but the flavor isn’t quite as well-rounded as fresh roasted.
- Add a bit of spice for extra flavor! Cinnamon is a classic companion for chocolate, or a pinch of cayenne will impart a Mexican twist. If you want something bold and delightful, try a dash of cardamom paired with a bit of nutmeg and a bit of cinnamon.
Servings: 10 (74 G)
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 45 min.
- 2 medium beets, roasted, peeled and pureed
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup Splenda
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp. whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- Whisk together the almond milk and lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes. Add sugar, Splenda, oil, vanilla, and 1/2 cup beets. Beat until foamy.
- Sift in flour. Add 1/2 cup cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt, mixing as you go. Mix until mostly smooth.
- Fill tins 3/4 full with batter. Bake 22-25 minutes, until toothpick in the center comes out with a fine crumb. Cool completely and dust with remaining cocoa powder.