The hidden ingredient that gives these cupcakes their moist, tender texture and nutritional power is beets. It doesn’t take much to make an impressive little cake you can savor with delight. The best part? This little cake is so scrumptiously moist that you won’t feel the need to add frosting.
- Puree the beets with an immersion blender for the smoothest texture.
- Replace roasted beets with canned, whole beets. Just leave out the salt and rinse the beets thoroughly–it’s actually easier to get a good puree with canned beets, but the flavor isn’t quite as well-rounded as fresh roasted.
- Add a bit of spice for extra flavor! Cinnamon is a classic companion for chocolate, or a pinch of cayenne will impart a Mexican twist. If you want something bold and delightful, try a dash of cardamom paired with a bit of nutmeg and a bit of cinnamon.
- 2 medium beets, roasted, peeled and pureed
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup Splenda
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp. whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- Whisk together the almond milk and lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes. Add sugar, Splenda, oil, vanilla, and 1/2 cup beets. Beat until foamy.
- Sift in flour. Add 1/2 cup cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt, mixing as you go. Mix until mostly smooth.
- Fill tins 3/4 full with batter. Bake 22-25 minutes, until toothpick in the center comes out with a fine crumb. Cool completely and dust with remaining cocoa powder.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4g|
|Total Carbohydrate 20g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||14%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Includes 5g Added Sugars||10%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 10g|
|Vitamin D 0.3mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 11.6mcg||2%|
|Vitamin C 1mg||2%|
|Vitamin E 1.8mg||15%|
|Vitamin K 4.4mcg||4%|
|Vitamin B6 0.1mg||6%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Unsweetened Almond Milk (almondmilk (filtered Water, Almonds), Tricalcium Phosphate, Sea Salt, Gellan Gum, Dipotassium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Sunflower Lecithin, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2, D-alpha Tocopherol (natural Vitamin E)), Beets, Whole Wheat Flour, Canola Oil, Sugar, Cocoa, Splenda (maltodextrin, Sucralose), Vanilla Extract, Lemon Juice, Baking Soda, Baking Powder (sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate), Salt.