Vegetarian does not mean bland, especially in this zippy Mexican-inspired casserole that is chock full of whole grains and vegetables. If you prefer a bit of dairy to cool spicy foods down a notch, pair this dish with a dollop of plain, non-fat Greek yogurt for a tangy finish to a scrumptious dish.
Amazingly delicious, healthy enchiladas start with whole-grain tortillas and enchilada sauce made from scratch. Put your own touch on the casserole by mixing up the vegetables with your family’s favorites. This recipe is very flexible – if you’re using canned goods that use a little more or a little less of any one ingredient, don’t sweat it, just use what you’ve got!
Not cooking for a crowd? Split this recipe into two 9×9 pans and freeze one for later! You won’t get exhausted by eating the same thing for a week and a half straight, and you’ll have an easy meal ready to pop in the oven on a busy night. Give it about an hour and a half to cook if you’re working from frozen and you’ll be good to go!
Servings: 10 (228 G)
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 50 min.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups plain, no salt added tomato sauce
- To taste: cumin, chili powder, oregano, garlic
- 1 (15 ½ oz.) can no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can low-sodium refried beans
- 1 (4 oz.) can of diced green chiles
- ½ to 2 large diced jalapeños
- 1 cup mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup corn
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup part-skim cheese, shredded
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute the diced onion until it starts to soften.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the tomato sauce, spices to taste, black beans and refried beans.
- Add the rest of the vegetables to the sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Layer the casserole in a 9×13 baking pan. Start by adding a thin layer of the sauce to the bottom.Next add a layer of tortillas. Alternate sauce and tortillas until there’s about 1/4″ of space left.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and cover loosely with aluminum foil. Bake at 350ºF for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake until cheese browns. Garnish with avocado.