Amazingly delicious, healthy enchiladas start with whole-grain tortillas and enchilada sauce made from scratch. Put your own touch on the casserole by mixing up the vegetables with your family’s favorites. This recipe is very flexible – if you’re using canned goods that use a little more or a little less of any one ingredient, don’t sweat it, just use what you’ve got!
Not cooking for a crowd? Split this recipe into two 9×9 pans and freeze one for later! You won’t get exhausted by eating the same thing for a week and a half straight, and you’ll have an easy meal ready to pop in the oven on a busy night. Give it about an hour and a half to cook if you’re working from frozen and you’ll be good to go!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups plain, no salt added tomato sauce
- To taste: cumin, chili powder, oregano, garlic
- 1 (15 ½ oz.) can no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can low-sodium refried beans
- 1 (4 oz.) can of diced green chiles
- ½ to 2 large diced jalapeños
- 1 cup mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup corn
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup part-skim cheese, shredded
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute the diced onion until it starts to soften.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the tomato sauce, spices to taste, black beans and refried beans.
- Add the rest of the vegetables to the sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Layer the casserole in a 9×13 baking pan. Start by adding a thin layer of the sauce to the bottom.Next add a layer of tortillas. Alternate sauce and tortillas until there’s about 1/4″ of space left.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and cover loosely with aluminum foil. Bake at 350ºF for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake until cheese browns. Garnish with avocado.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4g|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.5g||25%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 3g|
|Vitamin D 0.1mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 57mcg||6%|
|Vitamin C 9.9mg||10%|
|Vitamin E 0.9mg||6%|
|Vitamin K 34.5mcg||30%|
|Vitamin B6 0.2mg||10%|
|Vitamin B12 0.2mcg||8%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
No Salt Added Tomato Sauce (tomato Puree (water, Tomato Paste), Water, Less Than 2% Of: Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Citric Acid, Natural Flavors, Dehydrated Bell Peppers), Lightly Salted Refried Kidney Beans (organic Kidney Beans, Water, Sea Salt), No Salt Added Black Beans (prepared Organic Black Beans, Water), Unsalted Corn Tortilla (stone Ground Corn, Fumaric Acid, Cellulose Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Calcium Propionate, Trace Of Lime), Avocado, Whole Yellow Corn, Fire Roasted Green Chiles (green Chile Peppers, Water, Salt, Citric Acid, Calcium Chloride), Shredded Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese (pasteurized Part-skim Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt And Enzymes, Potato Starch, Corn Starch And Calcium Sulfate Added To Prevent Caking, Natamycin (a Natural Mold Inhibitor)), Onion, Mushrooms, Spinach, Olive Oil, Jalapeno Pepper, Garlic Powder, Chili Powder, Cumin, Oregano.