Whether you use black rice or brown or even quinoa, this stuffed mushroom recipe will wow everyone at your New Year’s party this year. The stuffing makes more than you’ll need to fill the recommended number of mushrooms, so you can either serve the remainder as a side or double-down on the mushroom offerings.
To get the most out of the mushroom stems, chop them finely and add them to the rice mixture. Black rice requires a longer cooking time, like brown, so be sure to leave time in your cooking schedule to make sure your appetizers arrive on your counter before your guests ring your doorbell!
Tip: Black rice can be hard to find, but many stores are carrying wild rice mixtures that pair black and brown for a lovely, nutritious effect.
Servings: 8-12 (357 G )
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- 24 button mushrooms
- 1/4 c.sweet onion, minced
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 c. black rice, cooked
- 1/4 c. part-skim cheese, shredded
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 c. cashews, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 t. sea salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 3 chives, minced
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Wash mushrooms and remove stems.
- Over medium heat, cook onions in oil until translucent in a medium skillet.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for mushrooms. Cook until warm.
- Fill each mushroom cap with stuffing and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until mushrooms are tender, and serve warm.