Thinking of going dairy-free? Our Expert Chef, Erin Dow, shares some great ideas on how to replace dairy on Maine’s WCSH6/WLBZ2 Morning Report, including showing you how to make homemade oat milk.
Oat milk is a dairy-free, nut-free alternative to regular milk. It’s easy to make from scratch and inexpensive. Store for up to 4-5 days in the fridge, and keep in mind that it may need to be shaken before use.
Servings: 3 (290 g )
Prep Time: 40 min.
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- Rinse oats and drain. Cover oats with water and soak to soften (20 minutes). After soaking, rinse and drain the oats thoroughly.
- In a blender, combine the oats and the water. Cover and blend on high until thoroughly pulverized (1 minute).
- Using a fine sieve, strain out the oats. Press pulp to drain thoroughly.
- After thoroughly cleaning your blender and sieve, process the milk and strain again two more times.
- Whisk in flavorings and store in the fridge.