Nothing is more homey and comforting than a blueberry muffin. This variation, made with whole wheat and flaxseed, earns two Guiding Stars. Tart lemon highlights the blueberry flavor for a treat that will make your family look forward to the leftovers. Balance with a serving of fruit and lean protein for a complete meal.
Lemon Blueberry Flax Muffins
Whole-wheat flour and ground flax seed boost the nutritional value of these tasty muffins that pair the winning combination of lemon and blueberry for wonderful flavor.
Servings: 24 (58 g )
Prep Time: 5 min.
Cook Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup blueberries
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- ⅔ cup ground flax seed
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⅓ cups plain, low-fat yogurt
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. lemon zest
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Toss blueberries with 2 teaspoons of the flour and set aside.
- In separate bowl, stir together remaining flour, flax, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Whisk together yogurt, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and eggs. Pour into dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Divide batter into 24 papered muffin cups. Bake until muffins are golden brown (18-20 minutes).