We can call sweet potato noodles spoodles, right? Well, whatever you call them, they’re delicious. Pesto is a nice starting place for a voodle sauce (vegetable noodle = voodle…you see where we’re going with this, right?), but don’t feel trapped by it. Play with a low-sugar, low-sodium marinara, make a creamy puree of roasted red peppers and garlic, or turn pureed cauliflower and nutritional yeast into a vegan alfredo sauce…your imagination is your only limit for great, vegetable-packed flavor that will taste amazing with your spoodles.
If you haven’t hopped on board the spiralizer train, this might be the recipe to tempt you. Get creative with the greens in the pesto to make the recipe your own–Arugula? Cilantro? Parsley? Basil? Any flavorful leaf can replace part or all of the kale in this recipe. All aboard for tasty eating!
Servings: 8 (115 g )
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 20 min.
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peels removed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 8 oz. kale, trimmed and blanched
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Spiralize the sweet potatoes on the largest setting. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sweet potatoes. Cook until desired texture is reached (5-7 minutes).
- Allow noodles to cool while you prep pesto.
- Place the nuts, kale, cheese, remaining olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a blender and purée. If necessary, drizzle in extra oil to reach preferred consistency.
- Toss pesto with noodles and serve.