Pasta is a beloved favorite with kids, and homemade bolognese sauce is easy to make ahead when you pull your slow cooker into the mix. Packed with veggies and bursting with flavor, this is a dish you and the kids will agree on. If your family isn’t partial to chunky sauce, just pop an immersion blender into the crock before serving it up.
Slow Cooker Mushroom Bolognese
If you can’t find Crimini mushrooms, go ahead and use your favorite mushroom variety for this vegetarian twist on Bolognese sauce. Feel free to replace the canned tomatoes wtih fresh, peeled and diced tomatoes. If you prefer a perfectly smooth sauce, using an immersion blender at the end of the cook time will do the trick.
Servings: 2 (467 g )
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 4 Hours
- ½ Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 cups chopped Crimini mushrooms
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- In a slow cooker, add the oil and diced vegetables. Season with salt and pepper and cook on HIGH for about an hour. (To speed this part of the process, first cook the vegetables in a frying pan until soft.)
- When the onion is translucent, add the crushed tomatoes and water. Mix and cover with a lid. Turn heat to LOW and cook 3-4 hours.
- An hour before serving, remove lid and turn heat to HIGH to help sauce thicken.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve over whole grain pasta.