It won’t take many hands to make this simple carnitas recipe, but it’s one that can satisfy many mouths. Have your family help chop veggies to stored prepped in the fridge and make this pork the inspiration for a number of easy-prep meals to keep your family interested and happy all week long.
Pulled Pork Sandwich: Serve warm on a whole wheat roll with a drizzle of barbecue sauce. Top with your favorite bagged slaw mix (undressed) for crunch and added nutrition.
Tacos: Serve warm on whole wheat or corn tortillas with a variety of toppings. Fresh corn salsa, thinly sliced avocado, pico de gallo, bagged slaw mix, and sliced onions are a few great options.
Salad: Serve cold over your favorite green salad dressed with a simple vinaigrette. Mix it up with the same bagged slaw mix or any of the taco toppings.
Carnitas can be a great lean protein to have on hand for quick tacos or skillet meals. Freeze the meat in small portions to have it handy to heat up with rice and veggies for a quick, flavorful weeknight meal.
Servings: 16 (251 G)
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 8 hours
- 6 lb. pork butt, fat trimmed
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 8 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 chipotle peppers
- 1 (15 oz.) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 3 cups orange juice
- Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker. Set to cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Let it cool enough to handle, then lift the meat from the juices and place on a platter to shred with two forks. Store leftover shredded meat in juices.
- Use meat to construct your favorite tacos or burritos.