Chickpeas, that is…in your pita pocket. Whole wheat pitas, fresh if you can get or make them, are the perfect medium for turning round, slippery and scrumptious marinated chickpeas into a creamy, wholesome sandwich.
Although this recipe is simple to prepare, the key to succulent chickpeas and minty yogurt is time. Plan to marinate the chickpeas and set the yogurt for as long as possible before you plan on serving this meal. The chard, onions and tomatoes should be prepared just before service for a simple sandwich recipe that begs to be repeated.
Servings: 4 (492 G)
Prep Time: 20 Minutes (Marinate Time: 4 Hours)
Cook Time: None
- 2 (15 oz.) cans no-salt-added chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 4 whole grain pitas
- 8 cups chard, cut into ribbons
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- Dressing Ingredients
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Add the chickpeas and stir to combine. Allow the chickpeas to marinate for at least 3-4 hours, or up to 2 days, for the best flavor.
- In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt and mint. Cover and refrigerate while the chickpeas are marinating.
- When the filling is ready to serve, warm pitas in the oven, if desired. Cut pitas in half. Line each half with chard then fill with tomatoes, chickpeas and onions. Divide mint yogurt equally between pockets and serve.