You know what’s better than a taco? A taco that’s good for you and the environment without giving up one ounce of flavor. That’s where stir-fried tofu comes in: it picks up flavors like you would not believe, and balanced with the sweet crunch of cabbage and carrot, this taco is a flavor powerhouse…no meat required.
Tired of ordinary tacos? Spice it up with this meatless recipe. Firm tofu, when pressed to remove liquid, becomes a sponge for good flavor, making it the perfect protein base. Lightly sauteed carrots and cabbage add a little crunch.
Servings: 1 (497 G)
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 15 min.
- ⅕ package extra firm tofu
- ½ Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sriracha
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 2 soft whole corn tortillas
- ½ Tbsp. sesame seeds
1. Remove as much water as possible from the tofu by pressing firmly with paper towel. Cut the tofu into 1 inch cubes.
2. Pour the sesame oil, soy sauce and sriracha into a pan and mix together. Set stove to medium-high heat.
3. Add the tofu to the pan and cook on each side for about 3 minutes until edges become firm and center is warmed through.
4. Remove tofu from the pan and set aside. Add the broth, cabbage and carrots to the pan.
5. Cook the vegetables over the stove for about 2-3 minutes or until they have reached your desired firmness. Strain excess vegetable broth from the pan. Heat the corn tortillas in the microwave, covered with a damp paper towel, for 20 seconds. Place the tofu and vegetable mixture onto the tortillas and sprinkle with sesame seeds.