Tired of ordinary tacos? Spice it up with this meatless recipe. Firm tofu, when pressed to remove liquid, becomes a sponge for good flavor, making it the perfect protein base. Lightly sauteed carrots and cabbage add a little crunch.
- ⅕ package extra firm tofu
- ½ Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sriracha
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 2 soft whole corn tortillas
- ½ Tbsp. sesame seeds
1. Remove as much water as possible from the tofu by pressing firmly with paper towel. Cut the tofu into 1 inch cubes.
2. Pour the sesame oil, soy sauce and sriracha into a pan and mix together. Set stove to medium-high heat.
3. Add the tofu to the pan and cook on each side for about 3 minutes until edges become firm and center is warmed through.
4. Remove tofu from the pan and set aside. Add the broth, cabbage and carrots to the pan.
5. Cook the vegetables over the stove for about 2-3 minutes or until they have reached your desired firmness. Strain excess vegetable broth from the pan. Heat the corn tortillas in the microwave, covered with a damp paper towel, for 20 seconds. Place the tofu and vegetable mixture onto the tortillas and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 7g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 50g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.5g||36%|
|Total Sugars 10g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 5g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Carrots, Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (filtered Water, Organic Carrots, Organic Tomatoes, Organic Celery, Organic Onions, Organic Garlic, Organic Leeks, Sea Salt, Organic Bay Leaves, Organic Parsley, Organic Thyme), Extra Firm Tofu (water, Organic Whole Soybeans, Magnesium Chloride), Cabbage, Unsalted Corn Tortilla (stone Ground Corn, Fumaric Acid, Cellulose Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Calcium Propionate, Trace Of Lime), Sriracha Sauce (aged Red Peppers, Vinegar, Sugar, Tomato Paste, Garlic Powder, Natural Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Garlic Oil), Low Sodium Soy Sauce (water, Wheat, Soybeans, Salt, Lactic Acid, Sodium Benzoate: Less Than 1/10th Of 1% As A Preservative), Sesame Oil, Sesame Seeds.
Summertime, and the eating is fishy...in a good way. Visit your seafood counter for the freshest catch of the week and top it with the farmer's market-ripe tomatoes and an absolute bounty of basil for a dish that will having your guests absolutely swimming in anticipatory saliva.