Green peppers and onions are a fantastic place to start with planning out freezer meals. Buy a bunch on sale, wash and slice them, freeze in a single layer on a baking sheet, then store in a freezer bag. If you’ve got canned tomato sauce and chicken on hand, putting together this very tasty dish will be a snap.
Green peppers, onions, and tomato sauce work together to create a surprisingly sweet and incredibly delicious chicken dish. If you want double-down on the veggies, your tastebuds would not be disappointed. Serve with a little brown rice to sop up all that saucy goodness.
Servings: 4 (284 g )
Prep Time: 45 min.
- ½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- Coat large skillet with cooking spray. Preheat skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned on all sides, turning as needed (2-3 minutes per side).
- Add pepper, onion, and mushrooms to the pan. Sauté until just browned (3-4 minutes).
- Stir in tomatoes, water, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the largest piece of chicken reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165ºF (15-20 minutes).
- Remove chicken from skillet, set aside, and cover to keep warm. Continue to simmer sauce, uncovered, until thickened (4-6 minutes).
- Top chicken with sauce to serve.