Pesto is a fantastic way to use up a large amount of greens before they go bad, but don’t feel like you need to confine yourself to basil and spinach! Leftover asparagus also plays nicely with a typical pesto recipe. Use this recipe as a template for trying out different raw or lightly steamed veggies as the base for your own pestos!
Did you know that pesto can be made not only with just about any green, but with a wide variety of vegetables? Asparagus is the superstar in this recipe, and just like any other pesto, you can make it last longer by freezing it.
Servings: 8 (91 G )
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 6 Minutes
- 1 bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 c. sliced almonds
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- Cook asparagus in boiling water for 4-6 minutes, until tender. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid and drain.
- Cool and chop asparagus.
- Add all ingredients except reserved liquid to a food processor and process until well blended, drizzling in the reserved cooking liquid to reach desired texture.
- Use in place of pesto in any recipe.