Those with gardens are no doubt starting to accumulate a backlog of zucchini already, but never fear! This 2 Guiding Star recipe for zucchini loaf is not only nutritious, it’s also a pretty darned tasty way to keep that summer squash bounty under control.
Zucchini bread is an all-time summer favorite for almost any household with a zucchini plant in their garden…and their neighbors who keep finding anonymous donations of zucchini in the back seat of their cars. With this tasty and healthful recipe, you just might find yourself sneaking around behind the stealthy zucchini donors to snatch up those unwanted squash.
Tip: If your loaf pans are 8″x4″, go ahead and use them and plan to increase the bake time, checking every 5 minutes for doneness.
Servings: 16 (41 g )
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 1 hour
- ¾ cup whole-wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup sucralose
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- ¼ tsp. lemon extract (optional)
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9″x5″ loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- Whisk together wet ingredients except for zucchini in a separate bowl. Stir in zucchini.
- Gently mix wet mixture into dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in walnuts and transfer to loaf pan.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out almost clean (40-45 minutes). Cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 5 minutes, then turn out onto the rack to cool completely.