Simmer sauces save me. They are my “we-just-got-home-from-gymnastics-and-need-dinner-in-30-minutes” go to. With simmer sauces, you get big flavors that your family isn’t expecting–especially considering that while it does its magic, you can be busy doing other things like making sure the evening’s homework is underway or getting that next load of laundry in.
How do they work? It’s simple: add your protein of choice (shrimp, fish, chicken, tofu or beans), bring the sauce to a boil for a couple of minutes, drop to a simmer for 30 minutes or less (depending on the brand) and you are done.
Looking for a simmer sauce to try? Consider one of these:
- 3 Guiding Star Devya Organic Mild Butter Chicken Simmer Sauce
- 2 Guiding Star Tasty Bite Rogan Josh Simmer Sauce
- 1 Guiding Star Taj Ethnic Gourmet Delhi Korma Simmer Sauce
Along with the sauce, I suggest a grain such as:
- 2 Guiding Star Uncle Ben’s Jasmine Ready Rice Pouch, which is ready in 90 seconds or one of the many others that cook in 15-20 minutes.
- 2 Guiding Star Nature’s Earthly Choice Organic Italian Pearled Farro (a protein-rich grain that cooks in 15-20 minutes)
- 2 Guiding Star Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Couscous, a protein-rich, grain-like pasta that would make great leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch
And some veggies…of course! Remember:
- Frozen is just as good as fresh and sometimes easier on a busy night! Try 3 Guiding Star Birds Eye Steamfresh Family Sized Mixed Vegetables
- No time to prep? Rinse some grape tomatoes and serve along with baby carrots and sugar snap peas…a colorful mix of 3 Guiding Star vegetables and no knife or cutting board needed!
- Plan ahead on an easier night by washing and cutting up lettuce and prepping other veggies. Your salad will come together in no time.