Today is the first day of Diwali, the Indian festival of lights celebrated by millions around the world. Whether you celebrate the holiday or not, this simple, flavorful snack is a great way to enjoy a healthy, traditional Indian snack.
Sundal is a traditional Indian snack that meets our golden rule of snacking: a little protein and a little healthful fat. Coconut and tomato bring a sweet and tart flavor combination to the smoky heat of the chili.
Servings: 4 (85 G)
Prep Time: 10 min.
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1 chili pepper, halved and seeds removed
- ⅛ tsp. asafetida or garlic powder
- 1 (15 oz.) can low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- Heat oil in a medium sauté pan over medium.
- When the oil is hot, add the chili and asafetida or garlic powder.
- Add the chickpeas and sauté until warm (3-4 minutes).
- Stir in the coconut, tomato, and salt. Serve hot.