Not many kids turn down a cheesy plate of macaroni, but parents have good reason to worry about feeding them some of the beloved boxed mixes as often as they want to eat it. This recipe lets you meet in the middle for their favorite dish with good nutrition. Whole-wheat pasta pairs with low-fat cheese to make a combination you can all agree on. Serve with a side of steamed fresh veggies for better nutrition still.
An easy recipe for a homemade classic. The key to keeping the sauce creamy is to melt the cheese at a low heat while stirring constantly. Serve with a good portion of steamed veggies for a complete meal that no one can complain about.
Servings: 8 (75 G )
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 MInutes
- 2 cups Whole wheat macaroni
- 1/2 cup Chopped onions
- 1/2 cup Evaporated skim milk
- 1 medium Egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups (4 oz) Low-fat sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Cooking spray
- Cook macaroni according to directions- but do not add salt to cooking water. Drain and set aside.
- Spray casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Add onions to sauce pan and sauté for about 3 minutes over medium heat. Reduce heat and add the milk, beaten egg, black pepper and cheese. Stir constantly until cheese is melted and thoroughly incorporated.
- Add the cheese mixture to the macaroni and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer mixture into casserole dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.