Not many kids turn down a cheesy plate of macaroni, but parents have good reason to worry about feeding them some of the beloved boxed mixes as often as they want to eat it. This recipe lets you meet in the middle for their favorite dish with good nutrition. Whole-wheat pasta pairs with low-fat cheese to make a combination you can all agree on. Serve with a side of steamed fresh veggies for better nutrition still.
An easy recipe for a homemade classic. The key to keeping the sauce creamy is to melt the cheese at a low heat while stirring constantly. Serve with a good portion of steamed veggies for a complete meal that no one can complain about.
Tip: If your family doesn’t like their mac & cheese, baked, go ahead and skip the baking step and eat it right out of the pan.
Servings: 8 (76 G)
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 30 min.
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 4 oz. low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups whole wheat macaroni, cooked
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Lightly spray saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Sauté onions over medium heat until soft (4-5 minutes).
- Reduce heat and add the milk, egg, pepper, and cheese. Stir constantly until cheese is melted and thoroughly incorporated.
- Mix the cheese mixture with the macaroni and transfer mixture into casserole dish. Bake until bubbly (20-25 minutes).